Legend of Island Gypsy
The Island Gypsy Cafe & Marina Bar is named after a local legend. The Island Gypsy was a custom-built sport fishing yacht that was owned and crewed by local Isles of Capri residents. She was a beautiful sight coming down the Marco River, 63 feet in length and 20 feet across the stern. She was powered by twin 1271 Detroit Diesel engines. She carried 3000 gallons of fuel on board for adventure trips to such places as Bahamas, Keys, Tortugas and Havana. She offered the best of amenities on board for comfort. A large fishing deck, ice maker that made 500 lbs of ice a day, commercial size grill on board, cooler that held 12 cases of beer, salon with couch and lazy boy chairs. The custom-made bridge was fitted with the latest and greatest of equipment for mapping, tracking and fish finding.
She and her crew were local legends … locally famous. Her last great adventure was in June of 2005. On October 24 , 2005 she came up against Hurricane Wilma while docked on the Isles of Capri. The 124 +mph winds proved too much for the majestic yacht. Wilma battered her and punched holes in her bow. Destroyed and slowly sinking, she was brought from the other side of the Island to Capri Marina where she was scuttled and taken away in pieces except for one piece. The entire 20-foot section of the Island Gypsy stern was saved and is now proudly on display at the entrance of the Island Gypsy Cafe & Marina Bar.
Long live the Legend of The Island Gypsy - Locally World Famous!